Wednesday 3 March 2010

Week 20 and the Bungay 20k

The Ironman suddenly seems really close when you reach week 20 of your schedule. At least this time round I'm on a 25 week schedule rather than a 24 weeks schedule. One more weeks grace this time round.

The week was an easier week to help target a PB at the Bungay 20k on the Sunday. I'm pleased to report that despite quite horrid conditions I acheived that with a time of 1:27:46 which works out to 7:04mpm. Took two hours sat under a duvet on my Mum's sofa in front of a fire to warm up afterwards.

The week in review

On the Thursday evening I met up with coach Joe. He asked for feedback on how he has been as coach. I have to admit that he has been very good. We've been in regular contact. He's been proactive, positive, encouraging and attentive. It's been good to have someone to talk at length about my training with. I've enjoyed his sessions. They've been fresh and new. I know I've not hit all the target times and paces, but if I had I'd have been led to think that the targets weren't high enough. Has it all been worth it? Well, the training has certainly been fun even when the weather has been far from fun. The real proof though will be in the race day performance. I've certainly felt strong at all 3 disciplines during the build up. Even times when I've felt strong at all 3 together. Power output on the turbo has been increasing. Swim times improving. Running volume up and getting Personal Bests. What will it yield in Australia? Well we'll have to wait and see. Would I recommend Joe as a coach? That's a much easier question. The answer is "yes".

No comments: