Wednesday 3 March 2010

Swim and Run Week 22 Tuesday 2nd March

Now into the last big week of training before the taper period.

Had a great swim with Oliver Milk yesterday morning. Oliver won the Norwich Triathlon last year and is a very strong swimmer. The session Oliver had us do involved a 500m warm up. Twenty 100m efforts repeating on 1:30. I've been hoping to be good enough to cope with that sort of set for a long time. Being able to draft Oli meant that I was able to. I'd like to think that my presence spurred him along too. Each effort was taking about 1:25 meaning that I was getting 5 seconds rest between each. We followed that up with eight 50m kick efforts on a turn around time of 75seconds. Then for a 500m pull aiming at 1:30 pace. I was just outside that. To wrap up a 200m warm down.

In the evening I had a 6-7 mile run on the cards with 4 miles at 6:30-6:45mpm in the middle. I went along to Norwich Road Runners, but wasn't able to tempt any of them from there session to join me. I don't blame them in the slightest. It was nice to meet up with them before and after. It was good of them to suggest a route. The pace had been selected as 'faster than half marathon PB'. The 'chip shop run' route they prescribed (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3511975) was perfect for the job at 6.7 miles. I did the effort unware of the distance from Mile Cross Aylsham Road round about though to the Mousehold Sprowston Road roundabout. That worked out to 4.4miles and my pace 7:01mpm. Not as fast as I'd have wanted, but faster than half marathon PB pace (just) so job done.

No comments: