Friday 19 March 2010

Australia Day 4 - Friday 19th March

My second 'day off' and my second surf lesson. I'm pleased to report that I was definately standing up on the board this time. There were 3 waves where I was not only stood up but definately surfing too. Not very well admittedly.

Couldn't stop myself analysising the learning processes. It's definately one of repetition. You start not being able to catch the wave. As you become better at wave selection and being picked up, you then get more opportunities to try to stand. You're still going to fall off lots but eventually you get better at standing and stand 3 times out of 5 then 4 times out of 5. Then you can start thinking about riding the wave. Clearly I've still got a long way to go.

Highlight of the session was seeing some dolphins. Can you imagine how wonderful it would be to have half a dozen dolphin's stop and check you out whilst you are waiting out back for the set? Well that's what happened to the class before mine. I was early and witnessed it. School kids here get to go surfing in their PE lessons and then they get visited by dolphins. Teenagers being teenagers though "its not fair, I want to ride my bodyboard rather than learn to surf a board".

Didn't suffer any further sunburns today. Was wearing factor 30+ sunscreen and was regularly toping it up. The wind helped to make it feel a bit cooler but it was still 27C and the forecast is for that to rise a little over the next 5 days or so. Fingers crossed it will drop for Sunday 28th. A cloudy day at 22C would be ideal, though I'll take 27C rather than 8C any day.

To get out of the sun in the afternoon I went to experience Australian Cinema. I saw "Alice in Wonderland". I liked it. A really well put together movie. You'd never recognise Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter. There couldn't have been more than half a dozen in a theatre that could host 300. I think Australian's are early birds. The film times were 9:20am, 2:20pm and 6:40pm.

I had planned to go to the cinema last night, but started on a marshal sechedule for the Norwich Triathlon. I'll be helping out Kerry Davis, the race director as her Marshal Co-ordinator. This is a role that Granville does so well for CoNAC. I'll be trying to emulate him. Guess that makes me Kerry's Granny. Whilst I went to bed at 9pm, I was so engrossed with it that I woke at 1am and didn't get back to sleep. I suppose that balances out 11 hours sleep the night before. Was sleepy most of the day.

Oh, and taking these lessons and chilling out is enabling me to talk to the locals. Their pronunciation of local town names is almost as bad as ours in Norfolk. Back home Wymondham is Windham and Happisburgh is Hazeborough. Here Cathie is Cat-eye and I've not mastered Wauchope. I'll update you on that one later.

No comments: