Wednesday 24 March 2010

Australia Day 9 - Wednesday 24th March

Harder ride today. Opted to ride a single lap of the bike course (60k) taking the first and last bits steady and pushing hard (ish) for the rest. That meant taking it easy on the undulations and pushing it along on the flat, though I still found myself riding a little conservative as I'm really not wanting to push it too much in this final week. Averaged 18mph for a 1:45 ride, though it was cut short to 50k because I needed to get back in time to go for a horse riding lesson.


Yes, that is some Ironman Australia merchandise that I'm wearing whilst sat on Zorro's back. He is a thoroughbred and has raced, though he was calm and gentle with me.

Another bit of preparation for the weekend was to do some washing. Everything that I have with me is now clean. (Jeans no longer smell of horses.) That means that everything I need for Sunday is clean and ready for use.

Local paper today contained a 12 page supplement for Sunday's race. In it they list all competitors, feature local entrants, feature the pros, feature the orange army of marshalls and also mention a chap from the US who has been doing Ironman for 26 years and Sunday's will be his 50th.

1 comment:

Varley's on sabbatical said...

Hey Rob,
Good to see your spending a few extra hours in the saddle :-)

All the best for the race, sounds like you've got everything in order. What number Ironman will this be for you? Reckon you'll be making the press at some point in the future as your 50th rolls around!

Things good here in NZ, not quite as warm as with you but enjoying warm running conditions.

Cheers,
Matt