Wednesday 20 January 2010

My Legs Hurt - Long Run Week 16 Wednesday 20th Jan

No two ways about it my legs hurt. I really don't expect any sympathy. In fact feel free to tease me. Legs were tired before I even started the 18mile run home from work this evening. 8.5hrs in a meeting with no drink before wasn't the best preparation. Was perhaps also wearing too much, but being warm when I've got runs in warm climates coming up is probably a good idea.
The aim was 18miles at 8:20mpm pace. The first mile was on the pace even with a delay to cross Queen's Road. But it wasn't long before the legs started to feel heavy and protest. It's at times like this when you're mind starts getting negative. Training when on form is easy. Everything is positive. But when it becomes hard work it really becomes hard work. When it's easy you feel confident and have a "bring it on" attitude, but when tired the self-doubt creeps in and thoughts like "what have you signed yourself up for you prat" enter your head.
To try to cope you convince yourself your going okay and actually going further than planned (wouldn't have got away that that one if I'd pre-measured the route). I was telling myself the route was going to be more like 18.5 - 19 miles. Turns out it was 17.9miles but once I'd worked out that equates to 8:35mpm I'm content baring in mind how heavy the legs felt. Average pulse at 73% is pretty similar to the 74% of last week when I averaged 8:25mpm. So it is just the legs being heavy and not me being slack that is the cause of the slower pace.
To be completely open and honest, I'm not relishing the thought of the next 4 days of training. In fact I'm a little nervous. I'd quite like next weeks rest week to be starting tomorrow. Oh well, it's the hard work now that will make the difference and we don't do these things because they are easy.

No comments: