Thursday 7 January 2010

Frozen week 14 Thursday 7th Jan 2010

Can't help but wonder how many others training for Ironman Australia or Comrades for that matter are also suffering with severe wintery conditions. Oh and a sore throat too. Had another bad night last night and couldn't get up this morning. Stayed in bed all morning. Aches seem to have gone, but can't talk.

Figured I'd have a really easy spin on the turbo in the afternoon to test out some new aero bars. Thought I knew how to setup a front derailer but I'm struggling to get this SRAM Force to work properly. I used the Tacx Recovery session BRR03 opting for a 39x13 rather than 53x17 gearing seeing as I can't get up onto my big chain ring. Recovery session means high(ish) cadence, low power, low speed and low heart rate. I've done this session 4 times now over the last couple of years and succeeded today in having the lowest heart rate on it.

I then ventured outside for a short t-run (transition run). By transition run I mean straight off the bike and out to run, well pausing long enough to put adequate layers on and trainers. Means I'm running within 5 minutes of finishing on the bike. Took the phone with me again and took some pictures. I paused the watch when I took photos of a frozen small Whitlingham Broad and also when I took photos of swans on an almost completely frozen large Whitlingham Broad. If I'd stopped the watch when taking photos at the ski-club I'd have done the 2.35 miles in 18:32 which is 7:47mpm which I'm pleased with. It felt comfortable. Running in snow is nice even if you don't really go for it. Technique is feeling better. Feels like I'm getting my running into a form that is laying the foundations for some good progress. However as I didn't stop my watch I'm down as 21:22 which is 9:20mpm. But the heart rate trace does show where I paused.

Todays photos can be found at: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=176250&id=602602194&l=0de209fbda

No comments: