Friday 22 August 2008

Wroxham 5k - 2008 number 3 - 20th August

Last week was my biggest week of training ahead of the UK Ironman ahead of what should have been a recovery week. Over the last two weeks I've covered over 500 miles in training (425 on the bike 78 running and 7 miles swimming). In the 5 days leading up to Wednesday's 5k I'd run 38 miles and the legs were feeling reluctant to move. I was convinced I shouldn't be running and shouldn't be going for a fast time. I asked if anyone needed pacing round in 25 minutes.
I ran my usual 2k warm up and the legs felt heavy but produced 8mpm, which was faster than I was expecting. Lined up for the start and suddenly felt light on my feet - guess it was the light weight cycling socks rather than blister resistant thick running socks I normally prefer. Legs still felt heavy and didn't want to risk injury. 4:10 for the first km, ran the second km chatting and watching the form of those around me. I know my style is far from perfect but a session recently with Neil Featherby had me looking at toe landers, circular leg actions, lopsided shoulders, backward leans and uneven arm swings. Second km was done in 4:00. Third km was the usual slower split that I've come to expect with the Wroxham course of 4:22. With just over 2km to go, and inspired by our Olympic success I went into overtake mode from the bend and clocked 3:56 and 3:55. Total time of 20:24. Whilst still 44seconds off a PB it is still my fastest 5k as a Vet (oh, okay 1st 5k as a Vet), my fastest 5k for 3 years and way faster than I had any right to run. So I'm a very happy bunny with that performance, very happy with my training in prep for the Ironman and very happy with how my body seems to be coping with the training. Not promising anything great for the Ironman just the finish but I'm sure I'll have fun getting round. Have I mentioned my just giving site of www.justgiving.com/roblines?

No comments: