Thursday 4 October 2007

Bike Encounters

One of the appeals of cycling is the interesting events that can occur when you embark on an adventure outside of your front door. For me today that was an encounter with a herd of Fresian cows as I chanced upon whilst on a detour home from work.
They were crossing a country lane from field to farm yard, I was wending my way between Long Stratton and Morningthrope. They seemed quite un-perplexed by the Tesco delivery van coming the other way that they were holiday up. Myself, however seemed to be of far more noteriety and I received quite a bit of attention. My meer presence seemed to hold up their procession as I paused to view and consider this strange ape in coloured lycra upon a light weight contraption. One seemed to consider me a threat and almost drenched me with saliver as tossed her head in my direction. Another seemed to be pondering the edibility of my handlebars as she licked my brake leavers, but generally they were just curious and wanted to take a moment to take in the unusal, novel addition to their presumably daily routine.
As for me - I too thought it was an interesting and varied interlude. The thought that went through my mind though at the next t-junction was "it might have been an idea to wipe your brake lever before setting off".

No comments: