Friday 21 August 2009

Canada Day 3

Third day and been busy. So so very nice to sleep in a bed rather than a car or plane seat. The air con in the caravan worked well and it was definately cool when I hit the sack. Up early cooked porridge, put a load of things onto http://www.tri-anglia.co.uk/ (might be away from the day job but can never escape the hobby job).

Went into Penticton this morning. Specifically to the Bike Barn (http://www.bikebarn.ca/), a liquor store and grocers.

When putting the bike together last night the headset was loose. The headset locking screw wasn't connecting with the locking nut. Bike isn't safe to ride without this. I feared that the locking nut had slipped down inside the steerer. That wasn't the case. What had happened was that I'd threaded the top couple of turns on the locking nut so the screw wasn't engaging and wasn't long enough to reach beyond the threaded part of the locking nut. They looked for a longer screw and we ended up going with a slightly narrower spacer. They also gave me some advice on some warm up ride and run routes, told me where the local running store is and also, most helpfully told me where the Ironman Expo and sign on will be - will be needing that knowledge next Thursday.

Liquor store visit was to get some local wine because the supermarket yesterday didn't sell alcohol. So I've picked up four bottles of local wine - one is champagne for after the race. Was recommended the Copper Moon and was taken by the Rigmarole Red. I've attached a pick below:
In case you can't make out the label, it reads:

"Why is it always such a RIGMAROLE to simply find a great drinking RED? The puzzling complexity of terrior, oak ageing, vintages and those ridiculous descriptors is just too much. Save that mental energy for wondering how the zebra managed to mate with the giraffe to make ... the Gibra"

The marketteers got to me on this occasion.

The grocers (supermaket) was to pick up a cork screw and the bits I forgot yesterday.

I like the supermarket, most things come in big vats which you just laddle into carrier bags - porridge oats, dried cranberries, sugar, pasta and rice etc.

I'm liking Canadian's as well they are friendly and helpful. The supermarket staff have already started to recognise me, the bike shop was helpful and a lady on the campsite came over and chatted. It is really that obvious I'm here for the Ironman? I had no branding on and the bike was hidden. Turns out the lady on the campsite is here for 3 weeks to acclimitise for this her first Ironman - she lives in the rain forest that is Northern BC.

Right, best go. I need to ring a man about marshalling a triathlon tomorrow or Sunday then I'm off for a spin on my bike now that it's working properly.

No comments: