Tuesday 21 August 2007

My first Time Trial

Did my first ever cycling time trial this evening the Billingsford 10mile organised by Diss CC. The conditions were damp and windy and the course undulating. I arrived moments before the cut off time, paid my pound and was given number 13. Wasn't at all sure about the held start so opted for my own standing start, and missed my pedal at the first attempt, but was soon spinning up the hill at 21mph and 135rpm (cadence). Having been adviced to save something for the home bound leg I tried to keep it steady. With the cross wind I decided to try riding on the drops rather than aerobars. Big mistakes, I went into a steering judder, not sure if it was the wind, more likely the slightly loose headset I'd noticed seconds before the off. My first throughts were that I was going to come off. Once back on the hoods, slowed down and directionaly stable again I was confinced I would have to withdraw with mechanical difficulties - but decided to push on anyway. Riding on the hoods seemed okay. I then went onto the aerobars and they seemed okay though I was now nervous. I continued to ride alternating between hoods and aerobars. The wind and occasional passing lorry was rather unsettling. After the roundabout half way point I tried the drops again, but again the judder was there - think I need to get the bike looked at. Got to finish and whilst satisfied to have my first TT under the belt I was reluctant to see what my time was. I thought I should just discretly slip away. But my time was actually quite a passable 26:37 (m:s) which works out to an average of 22.5mph. So for a first outing, with no experience, poor conditions, no warm up and some mechanical difficulties that's not bad. Whilst 4mins off the winner, I wasn't the slowest.

No comments: