Wednesday 26 May 2010

Wednesday 26th May

My foot is no longer aching. No hurt, no ache. Didn't feel brave enough to do the prescribed 4x 1mile efforts on it. Gonna save it and my legs until Sunday.

Managed to pretty much completely stay off the foot yesterday. Went on a safari. That meant I was picked up from the Hotel at 6am and dropped off again at 9pm with very little time spent on the feet.

Was taken to the Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve and full marks to those that know that it is pronounced Slu-sluie Imp-ol-osy. Of the big five we saw Elephant, Rhino and Buffalo. Saw loads of Impala, Zebra, Giraffes, worthogs, blue backed wilde beast, baboons, a couple of different eagles, some silver backed monkeys, some other gazzers that I can't remember the name of and something that looked like a weasel that my guide was sure was a squirrel.

Also went to the Emdoneni Wild Cat Sanctuary where they rehabilitate endangered felines. No Lions or Leopards to be found here to complete the big 5 for me. Neither of those two are endangered. They are looking after African Wild Cats, Serval, Caracal and Cheetah. African Wild Cats are very similar to domestic cats. From the explanation I'd describe them as a very specific predigree breed. They do and can breed with domestic cats and so the only ones that are classified as pure "African Wild Cats" are those that pass genetic tests that prove they pure bloods. They have serious behavioural problems so wouldn't want one as a pet. Was allowed in the pens with the some of Serval and juvenial Cheetahs, once they'd been fed that is. Advice was don't try to run from them and if they jump at you or get their claws into you don't try to push them away, wait for assistance. The juvenial Cheetahs were 18 months old, so not fully mature they are old enough to fend for themselves that means they can do 0-70mph from a standing start in 3.5seconds that's faster that most cars and certainly faster than me. Fortunately I wasn't alone in the pens with them and I figured I was faster than all the other humans.

Sorry about the picture being a bit dark. It was 5pm and getting dark and I didn't want the flash to upset the cats.
More pictures from the day at: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=215899&id=602602194&l=e0c2841f18

Today, I've mostly been loafing around at the hotel pool. Figured I need to acclimatise and that sun bathing is a good way to do that. I also gave myself a swimming lesson. I've been lent a copy of "Total Immersion" and I've worked my way through the narative to the first set of practicals and the small pool here was a great venue for floating on my back and on my sides whilst working on balance.

Tomorrow I'm on another tour. Off to the Sani Pass in the Drakensburg which is a 33km gravel road straddling sheer cliffs and topping out at 2873m above sea level. I'm hoping for a clear day so that I can get some more photos for you.

No comments: