Saturday 29 May 2010

Football Friday

Friday 28th May and all the hotel staff are wearing South Africa team shirts. I'm to find out that all workers are being encouraged to adopt Football Friday. Forget Dress Down Friday or Casual Friday its Football Friday now until end of the World Cup. South Africa are out to make this the best World Cup ever and are using it to unit and country. They want the World to see how far they have come since domcracy started in 1994. They've got 450,000 visitors arriving in the next couple of weeks. 11,000 media and 26 billion pairs of eyes will see images from South Africa (they figure that people will watch more than one match.) The World Cup is going to put South Africa firmly on the map and firmly into the minds of the World.

Registered today after a rather lengthy bus tour of the race route. Against my better judgement I opted for what was billed as a 5 hour trip with refreshment stops. It turned into a frustrating 7 hour wild goose chase. Anyway I did get to see some of the route. I did get to see Arthers Seat and Comrades Wall (more of these when I do the race report I'm sure)javascript:void(0). Having spent a bit of time upon my returning g-mapping the route I know now where the buses should have taken us (highway rules permitting):


I am now registered, I have my race numbers, and am now seeded in the correct starting pen. The organisation for this race really has been one of the hardest. I figure the race is going to be the hardest. Certainly gonna be the hardest running race I've challenged myself with.

No comments: